Create, develop, and deliver social impact
Do you want to gain the skills and knowledge to help create a more sustainable world for all? This July you have the chance to collaborate with other students from around the world in proposing and developing concrete solutions to pressing issues in your community and beyond.
Join Kagumu’s Sustainable Action Series to widen your knowledge of environmental and social issues, develop an understanding of sustainable development, learn from experts how to reduce carbon emissions, join climate advocacy movements and much more!
Location: Streamed live from Colombia
Date: July 5-15, 2021 (5 live sessions)
Time: 9AM (Central Time)
Cost: $69 (early-bird offer before June 15) $89 regular price
Discount: One free participant for a group of 5 or more that signs up
Day 1 - Monday, July 5: Introduction to sustainable development (1hr 30 mins)
- Explore the UN’s roadmap to a better, more sustainable world.
- Understand your role in sustainable development
- Gain tips to start taking positive actions in your community and beyond.
Day 2: Tuesday, July 6: Urban gardening & home composting (1hr 30 mins)
- Discover, from an inspirational local entrepreneur, the positive social and environmental impacts urban gardening can have upon a community.
- Learn how to dramatically reduce ones daily carbon footprint.
- Developing techniques to start a home composting garden
Thursday, July 8: Award-winning conservation & eco living (1hr 30 mins)
- Tour an innovative conservation project whose award-winning design promotes harmonious living within Colombian’s Andean rainforest.
- Explore these unique high-altitude tropicals ecosystems known as páramos.
- Gain expert tips to reduce carbon emissions at home.
Tuesday, July 13: Climate activism - join the youth movement (1hr 30 mins)
- Meet the voices of youth activism in Colombia and around the world.
- Learn from climate advocate experts how to become an activist, gaining knowledge and the tools to run activism campaigns through social networks, art, events, mobilizations, and daily activities.
Thursday, July 15: How can I make a positive impact while volunteering (2hrs)
- Explore ways you can volunteer with a purpose while exploring the effects of privilege and savior complex.
- End the program with a celebration and explore ways students can take actions to help create a more sustainable world.
Meet your experts
Leader in social impact management, curator in Globalshapers, scaling impact for organizations.
Carlos Diaz Granados
Award-winning conservationist innovator, owner of a sustainable natural reserve in Salento, Colombia.
Social entrepreneur, professional teacher, writer, and founder-director of Kagumu Adventures.
Biologist, community gardener, director of NGO in conservation, expert in amphibians and reptiles.
Maria Otero Estrada
Climate activist for Pacto X Clima, environmental consultant in Silicon Valley, working in solar energy.
What are the UN Sustainable Development Goals
The 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals are a set of goals that were decided at the 2015 Paris Conference and are to be achieved by all member countries by 2030. The three main global issues we need to solve are: fighting climate change, ending extreme poverty and reducing inequalities. There are no laws surrounding the SDGs, indeed no one is in charge of the goals. This means, that each and every person on earth has the chance to contribute to these goals in any way they can.
Frequently asked questions
How is this different to other virtual programs?
You will get the personalized experience and not fall into the background without feeling like you have contributed. You will learn directly from experts in the industry, be mentored by experienced professionals in the SDGs and get to connect to real social impact organizations.
Who will I be collaborating with?
You will be joining like-minded students. All participants will be english speaking and have a keen interest in sustainable development and social impact.
Do I need to know about sustainable development or the UN Sustainable Development Goals?
No. If you do great, if not, don’t worry; we will send some material before the course so you can get to know the SDGs.
Is this a credit course?
No. This is a non-credit course.
What online meeting platform will I need?
Zoom - there is no sign-up fee and we will send you a private link before each session.
How long will the live sessions be?
Expert-led sessions will last from 1hr 30 mins.
Who will be leading the live sessions?
The sessions will be led by industry experts from Colombia and the UK.
If I miss a session, how can I catch up?
We will send you the recorded session.
What SDGs will I be engaging with?
You will be mainly engaging with:
Goal 7: Affordable and clean energy
Goal 9: Industry innovation & infrastructure
Goal 12: Responsible consumption & production
Goal 13: Climate action
Goal 15: Life on land
What is the cost of the program?
$69 (early-bird offer before June 15) $89 regular price
How do I sign up?
To sign up, complete this form.